The Frio Bat Flight
For a once in a lifetime experience you will want to come to the Frio Bat Flight Tour and witness this awesome site as 10 to 12 million Mexican Free-tailed Bats ascend into the evening sky before sunset at Frio Cave near Concan, Texas.
This is the second largest bat population in the world open to the public!
Meet your guide at the gate. The gate is 1/3 of a mile down FM 2690, first gate on the right after crossing the bridge over the Frio River.Follow the guide in your car 2 miles on ranch to the Frio Cave, take a short easy walk to the top of the hill to witness one of nature’s most incredible spectacles. Handicapped parking and accessibility are available. If you are unable to make the walk please inform a guide. Someone may drive you up after the walkway has cleared.
Also at the bat viewing area you will possibly see Cave Swallow, Rock and Canyon Wren, and you might even see a ringed-tail cat or skunk entering the cave to catch dinner. Be amazed as several species of raptor dive into the exiting swirl of bats.
Birds of prey catch the bats in the air
We have seen Zoned-tailed, Red-tailed, Red-shoulder, Kestrel, Swainson’s and Harris’s hawks plus Merlin and Peregrine falcons after the bats.
This is a maternity cave where the bats return each spring to mate and give birth to their pups. Unfortunately the bats fly south for the winter and are only here from mid March thru September.
Great Experience for Elementary, High School & College Groups
Frio Cave’s guides begin the tour with an interpretive talk about the known history of Frio Cave, the bats found in the cave and bats in general. This is a great chance to learn about the benefits of bats, life in and around the cave and nature in the Hill Country.
Sunday 05/01 20%Mostly CloudyPartly cloudy skies this morning will become overcast during the afternoon. A stray shower or thunderstorm is possible. High 81F. Winds ENE at 10 to 15 mph. Monday 05/02 40%Chance of RainShowers in the morning, then cloudy in the afternoon. Thunder possible. High 69F. Winds N at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 40%. Tuesday 05/03 0%Partly CloudySome clouds in the morning will give way to mainly sunny skies for the afternoon. High 78F. Winds NE at 5 to 10 mph. Wednesday 05/04 0%ClearSunny. High 83F. Winds light and variable. Thursday 05/05 0%ClearPlentiful sunshine. High 87F. Winds SSW at 5 to 10 mph. Friday 05/06 0%Partly CloudyIntervals of clouds and sunshine. High 87F. Winds SE at 10 to 15 mph.